Saturday, August 16, 2008

Going off with the Girls - How Do You Feel About It ?

It's happened to all of us....we show up at the Golf Course or Club of choice for the day, perhaps as a single or perhaps lacking a full foursome, and we get paired with a female golfer or golfers. My gut tells me that the majority of us roll our eyes, shrug, or otherwise express some form of frustration.

Why ? Bad experience ? Lack of patience for the group using multiple tees ? Loss of the ability to tell dirty jokes ? Threatened perhaps (we'd never admit it, tho...) ? Or are we just chauvinistic pigs ?

I won't go all Dr. Phil on you here - but I will share some of my thoughts....

I play at a local CC where we have lots of female members, and plenty of them who are...well, lets just say they started playing golf waaay before graphite shafts were the norm. Therefore, I get plenty of exposure to all levels of golfers of the feminine persuasion. I will admit that early on, I did have some very frustrating outings with some chicks who just could NOT hit the ball. However, my recent experiences have been very different - as a matter of fact, I find that I am often playing with someone who is at least my equal ( I play to a 9 currently, so no sniggering..). I've met some delightful people, and had some really good times as well. Maybe it's just me, but it sure seems like the level of golf played by ladies is a lot higher than it was 10 years ago.

However, it could be just me...so let me know what your experiences have been.

1 comment:

Heather Kerrigan said...

Here's the deal. There are always beginning golfers -- both male and female. However, I play with a bunch of women who could hold their own with most men, albeit from the red tees. We have a group of women at our club that play so fast and so well that many men ask to be put behind them on the tee sheet..but they may not admit to it!