Sunday, August 24, 2008

Jean Van de Velde + Groundhog Day = Sergio...


Well folks, it happened again.....another big tournament (altho' not a major), another melt down by none other than Sergio Garcia. I know, I know...he MADE THE PUTT on the first playoff hole....but look back to regulation, where he gave away chances to put it away.

Excuse me for a moment, Sergio is calling my cell...."yes, Serg, I know that you hit the flagstick on 14...no, I don't think an invisible man kicked your ball away when it should have gone in..., ok, bye now.." Sorry for the interruption. I don't know what it is with this guy - he can look otherwordly 98% of the time, but when it comes down to it, he cannot CLOSE. And before the conspiracy theorists emerge from their hermetically sealed enclaves, let me remind you that on the second playoff hole, Garcia hooked his drive into the left rough, just feet from some huge trees. Da' Bull then hit his second shot behind a tree in the right rough. Somehow, the gnarly ground around Garcia's ball was ruled abnormal (whatever THAT means), he was able to take a drop that allowed him to get a clear shot to the green. Ah, the HUMANITY !!!!!

Given the recurring nature of this outcome, he has to think he has been transported from the Mich Light commercial with the poolside babe into a twisted remake of "Groundhog Day" directed by Jean Van de Velde. I'm not a Sergio basher, or a Euro hater...just someone who has learned that whining and golf make a very sour nightcap. Bottoms up, el toto, er toro....